- 1 head of Napa cabbage
- 2 carrots
- 2 bunches bok choy
- 1/3 cup grated ginger (fresh)
- Umeboshi vinegar
- Sesame oil (Toasted)
- Cut the Napa cabbage into small pieces. Same with bok choy.
- Grate 2 carrots or cut them into Julienne strips 1” length and ¾” wide.
- Mix well in glass bowl and add umeboshi vinegar to taste.
- Add fresh ginger juice.
- Place a weight on top and leave for a few hours. (For pressing time, it depends on the type of vegetables. For these vegetables, press for 3-4 hours.)
- Leave at room temperature. DO NOT put in refrigerator as it will stop the pickling process.
*The weight and the Umeboshi salt are the tools to make pressed salad.
- Dressing options:
- Umeboshi vinegar and oil.
- Orange peel and orange juice with 2 T. of tamari (non-wheat soy sauce) and a little bit of oil.
By placing a weight on the vegetables, you will squeeze out the excess fluid in the vegetable therefore making them more digestible. The salt in the Umeboshi vinegar will help the process.
If you do not have a press, you can use a plate and a rock or other heavy object for pressing. Please be sure all items are clean, so that they do not contaminate your salad.